Young Enterprise at Sir Jonathan North College
When you can do it:
- In Year 10 all students get the opportunity to participate in Young Enterprise
What does it involve?
- You form a company with up to 15 other students
- You all invest £10 into the company
- You then design and make or buy some products to sell in college, at trade fairs and possibly to shops
- You compete in the Young Enterprise Innovation Awards against other schools and colleges from across Leicestershire for a place in the Regional Finals.
- All profits that the company make is split up as dividends amongst the shareholders
Past Achievements at Sir Jonathan North College:
- In 2009 the students won the Leicestershire West Area finals, the Leicestershire County Finals to compete at the Regional Awards. They won an Award for Health and Safety at the Regional Awards. They also came second in the Leicester Trade Fair and at the National Trade Fair in Stratford-Upon-Avon
- In 2010 we had two companies – they won six of the seven Awards at the Leicestershire East Area finals with one company reaching the Leicestershire County Final where they won an award for Health and Safety and the Best Trade Stand.
- In 2011 we had our most successful company What if…? They won though to the National Finals at the Savoy Hotel eventually coming second overall and winning the best production prize.
- In 2012 our company was called ‘Click’ and they made and sold recipe cards from recipes they created. They won through the area final and won the award for the best presentation and the New Media Award for their advert. This meant they represented Leicestershire at the East Midlands regional final.
- In 2013 our company ‘Ignite’ made recycled bangles and bracelets. They won many awards including the county final to represent Leicestershire at the East Midlands regional final. They also won the New Media Award at the County Final.
- In 2014 our company ‘I Wish…’ wrote a children’s book about career aspirations. They won many awards including the Leicestershire County Final, representing Leicestershire at the East Midlands Regional Final. They won an award for the best Marketing campaign at the Regional Final
- In 2015 our company ‘Silhouette’ made lampshades from recycled books and maps. They won awards for Marketing and Teamwork at the Area final before winning the best Presentation and teamwork awards at the County Final.
- In 2016 our company 'Engage' made an educational Maths game for children to improve their numeracy skills. They won the award for best interview at the area final before winning the teamwork and innovation award at the County final.
- In 2017 our company 'Food4thought' made recipe books covering different religious celebrations. They won through to the county final winning awards for best presentation and company report. They were also the county final runners up.
- In 2018 our company 'North3' made a study cube personalised to the customers requirements with accessories they needed whilst studying. In the area final they won an award for
- In 2019 our company 'Pop pwr' made portable charging pop sockets. In the area final they won awards for best presentation and teamwork
- The 2019/20 Young Enterprise team have just started their Young Enterprise journey. They will provide regular updates on their progress throughout the year.
- Sir Jonathan North College is a Young Enterprise Centre of Excellence. This was awarded in 2013 for continued participation in Young Enterprise Programmes.